I recently went for lunch with a friend and they served the most beautiful chilli soup. I changed the veggies based on what I had…I think I nailed the soup base which really I think is the best part.
1. Sauté 1 medium chopped onion and four cloves chopped garlic in a little water until the onion is soft.
2. Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon chilli powder, and 2 tablespoons dried cilantro.
3. Add a can of tomatoes and blend well using a blender or an emersion blender. If using blender transfer blended mix back to pot.
4. Add four cups vegetable stock, 1/2 chopped head of cauliflower, 1 sliced zucchini, 2 cups corn, 1 small can pinto, navy or black bean. Really you could add almost any veggies you want some bell peppers would be good.
5. Simmer until veggies are cooked. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the soup when serving.
This soup made four pasta jars full. The more I am eating plant based meals the more I find myself cooking and eating homemade meals. For me preparation is key. If I don’t have something ready to go in the morning to pack for lunch the more difficult I find plant based eating.
I plan on leaving one jar out and freezing the rest for later in the week. If freezing in glass remember to leave enough room for expansion.
Vegetable Chilli Soup
1 chopped onion
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp chilli powder
2 Tbsp dried cilantro
1/2 head chopped cauliflower
1 sliced zucchini
2 cups corn
1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
1/2 lime juiced